incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:44:27 GMT

On 10/20/2011 10:14 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Rob,
>
> As were you, I was looking at the value of the ezmlm confirmation e-mail and
> its opt-in requirement for moderator-initiated subscriptions.  It seemed to me
> that would provide a clean opt-in point for users of lists about to be
> retired.
>
> The process for the moderator-initiated subscription needs to know
> subscription e-mail addresses for the current members of the to-be-retired
> list.    It depends, of course, on a moderator having the subscriber e-mail
> addresses, and I did not indicate how that could be solved any more than your
> experiment did.
>
> I think the modifications to ezmlm messages is important regardless.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> STILL THINKING OUT LOUD
>
> On the other hand, making moderators of the current list be moderators on the
> new list and being sure that they notify the list of the move prospect would
> be a way to subdivide the work with people who presumably do have access to
> the distribution list of the retiring ML.  Those moderators can be expected to
> follow the rules that apply in their jurisdictions.
>
> And wait: Aren't the lists on a US hosted site already?  The Oracle Privacy
> Policy might be the governing situation.
>
> Providing an opt-in migration that is not a surprise to the list members,
> announced clearly in advance, might be a clean way to navigate all of this.

My guess here is that it is highly unlikely that lists of users or the
forwarding map will be made available.
The best approach for contacting these users is to send messages to the
various ML.

Also, there is no imminent shutdown of the ML infrastructure or any of
the other infrastructure hosted on Kenai (including the hg & svn).
The hosting for the forums and wiki is going away, and we need to look
at doing the cut-over.

Andrew

>>> 3 and to subscribe users to the right ones (of course, being "project