incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From floris v <floris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How voting works...
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:41:48 GMT
Op 19-10-2011 14:00, Rob Weir schreef:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com>  wrote:
>> I'm not going to dig into all the details of how a vote is called in the ASF.
>>
>> In posting this I am not asking for the current vote to be recalled,
>> there is no need.
>>
>> I am just wanting to flag something that concerns me about how the
>> vote was called (and as per usual this is just advice from a mentor,
>> these are not rules that must be adopted).
>>
>> In an ASF community everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone
>> should be encouraged to express that opinion in a formal vote, just as
>> much as they should be encouraged to express their opinions in day to
>> day discussion.
>>
> We're very concerned, as we should be, to ensure that everyone, even
> non-PPMC members, can weigh in on all project discussions and
> decisions, including policy and governance questions.  As we should.
> I applaud that commitment to openness.
>
> However, the proposal that we're voting on has this clause regarding
> the support forums:
>
>   "Forum governance will be discussed in a publicly readable forum.
> Write access will be limited to those with at least 10 posts."
>
> In other words,  we're agreeing to a proposal where it is not true
> that "In an ASF community everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone
> should be encouraged to express that opinion in a formal vote, just as
>   much as they should be encouraged to express their opinions in day to
> day discussion."

*You're forgetting that the forums aren't an almost closed mailing list like ooo-dev. How
many people are subscribed to ooo-dev?
As of 9/20 the number of registered users of the forums is 44830 and the number of people
with over 10 posts still exceeds 1000.
If we'd open the gates to anyone, you'd probably soon see bored kids pollute the discussions
with the kind of crap that they now post on Wikipedia.
If you don't like the forum, I suggest that you just ignore it.

**Peter aka floris v*

**