incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Hollmichel <martin.hollmic...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:36:08 GMT
Am 20.10.2011 14:35, schrieb Shane Curcuru:
> This is an interesting idea.  The three key questions are:
>
> -- Are there sufficient volunteers in the Apache OpenOffice podling to
> actually complete this work in a reasonable time, without impacting
> (what I think is) the progress to a new Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release?
> This is a vitally important question, because without sufficient
> volunteers and committers working on this, it won't be possible to do.
Agreed, such release should not eat up any ongoing efforts for the
Apache OOo 3.4 release. I would think that the amount of changes should
be limited the bare necessities, such as security fixes and adoption to
the infratructure which is subject to change, such as the crash
reporting, user feedback program, registration and many other stuff. I
expect that there will be some learnings which will also be helpful for
the 3.4 release then. I can imagine that Team OOo will sponsor these
efforts if that is desired.

> -- How much does this idea rely on the existing Oracle-hosted
> openoffice.org infrastructure?  Many parts of that infrastructure will
> be shut down soon (at Oracle's choice), so only the new Apache
> services - subtly different I imagine - will be available soon.
I think I'm be able to provide a full list of that dependencies, at the
first glance I would think this is doable in quite short timeframe and
is an excerise which need to be done anyhow.

> -- Is there a credible way to produce a release that the ASF is
> willing to host on it's servers?
My expectation have been to use the existing download mirror network,
but I'm open for anything,

Martin