incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:39:48 GMT
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Note that I disagree with having three lists; I would far prefer to
> start with a single list per NL.

No problem about this; I was merely envisioning a structure where we had
an "announcements" list (300 subscribers now) and two discussion lists,
one for users (consolidating a few lists, 700 subscribers) and one for
volunteers (consolidating the remaining ones). But it's not imperative
for me to start with 3 lists.

> Actually, I'm pretty sure we will not be mass-subscribing users. That is
> generally regarded as a very bad idea in Apache projects

Here the fundamental issue is that we are transferring mailing lists
(and consolidating them in the process); the fact that we will create
new lists instead of reconfiguring the current server is merely a
technical preference.

I'm against auto-subscribing people to new lists too in general, but I
do not recognize this case as "creation of new mailing lists": we would
just be MOVING mailing lists, in accordance with the old server
maintainers, to give continuity to the project. And losing most of our
subscribers in the process due to (their!) sloppiness would be a huge
setback for OpenOffice.org.

Regards,
   Andrea.