incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Hollmichel <martin.hollmic...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:49:56 GMT
Am 19.10.2011 17:24, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> On 19 October 2011 16:10, Martin Hollmichel
> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I think what matters is not just "oh it works fine" but how do we maximise
>>> benefits.
>>>

>> Indeed, invest into mechanism to boost up the ecosystem to help partners do
>> their business better and thus come to faster solutions for end users and
>> customers is a central issue, we should and want to work on,
> I agree with the sentiment but not with the words.
>
> The ASF does not have partners, it produces software for the public
> good. Of course, the people you refer to as partners are part of the
> public. So the distinction may be not be important.
>
> However, the ASF cannot, as a charity, do anything that benefits any
> one organisation/individual more than any other.
>
> That being said. I do agree with the sentiment of where this thread is going.
>
> So what do you want the AOOo project to do to build this ecosystem?
 From my old experience I would not recommend to do so, but this might
be an issue which could be discussed.

When I speak of partners, I mean all the people and companies doing
business with OpenOffice.org, I think these a thousands around the
world. They are doing good jobs in migrating others to OOo, doing 1st
and 2nd level support, trainings, etc. what they missed and still
missing is to buy "last" level support which never has offered by the
big ones (Sun, IBM, etc) on a broad basis. I agree that this is nothing
the ASF wants to provide (and I do not recommend). But I think this
might attractive to do this on an open and non-profit basis, but of
course you need for this a bunch of experienced and full time developers.

> Ross
Martin