incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:40:59 GMT
On 10/19/2011 11:28 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Pedro Giffuni<>  wrote:
>>   -1
>> The Apache Foundation *IS* neutral.
>> Beyond the evident open wounds the previous relationship with SUN/Oracle
>> may have left in the community, the domain is the natural
>> reference for longtime users and the developers of the many forks.
> I agree, but the problem is one not of the neutrality of the trademark owner
> but rather the practical neutrality of the administration of the shared
> list.  Is the project happy for the list administration to be shared with
> others outside Apache?
> If so (and if it actually happened!) I would share your vote and re-iterate
> my earlier proposal that be used.
> S.

I'm confident that the Apache security team and specific members of AOOo
PPMC could arrange a suitable adminstration structure to satisfy any
reputable security-minded contributor in the OOo world.  While some of
us may have significant differences elsewhere, I hope (and presume) that
we all take security seriously enough to do it correctly.

And given that the existing s@oo.o email address is already plastered
over archives and search results and millions of user's existing
installs, keeping the same email address is a huge bonus in terms of
capturing security issues from less technical end-users.

In terms of reliability, that should not be an issue once we are hosting
the mailing lists at the ASF and the Apache infra team has full access
to maintain the lists up to the same standards as our other lists.

- Shane

View raw message