incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:26:35 GMT
On 10/17/2011 5:54 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:
> I propose that we rename OpenOffice.org Apache OpenOffice and abbreviate it
> to ApacheOO or AOO and trademark each of those terms. At the same time
> invite submissions for a new logo or logos based on these terms with a
> deadline of end of November after which the PPMC decides it by vote.

This is indeed one of the major discussions the PPMC needs to have.
However I don't believe it's something we need to decide immediately; it
becomes more important once we have a roadmap to an actual software
release, and also once we are hosting oo.o content and have the ability
to make changes to that huge website that so many users (and links) hit.

This is a significant question, and I would urge the PPMC to give it
serious and organized consideration, both in the context of what we
officially brand future releases, and also in the context of how we can
continue to use the existing OpenOffice.org brand and especially it's
websites to promote our work and attract new users and contributors.

Also note:
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Software releases from any TLP's do indeed need to be called "Apache
(Something)", as this is a requirement for projects hosted at the ASF.

- Shane