incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:46:24 GMT
Am 10/18/2011 12:04 AM, schrieb floris v:
> Op 17-10-2011 23:54, Ian Lynch schreef:
>> I propose that we rename OpenOffice.org Apache OpenOffice and
>> abbreviate it
>> to ApacheOO or AOO and trademark each of those terms. At the same time
>> invite submissions for a new logo or logos based on these terms with a
>> deadline of end of November after which the PPMC decides it by vote.
>>
> You could also consider Apache Office, as all Apache software is open
> source. But maybe that's too far away from the original.

Yes, maybe. When I hear/read "Apache Office" I would ask where it is
located and what the address is. ;-) I wouldn't immediately know that
this term is for an open source software.

I think Apache OpenOffice (and AOO as acronym) is much better. It
creates much better a connection to the old brand OpenOffice.org when
the user has already heard ot it.

And yes, the ".org" extension is no longer necessary or helpful as it
makes the name longer than needed. Apache itself is already an "org".

My 2 ct.

Marcus