incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:19:36 GMT

On 10/17/2011 03:39 AM, Nelson Marques wrote:
> Hi,
>

> 2011/10/17 RGB ES<rgb.mldc@gmail.com>:
>> 2011/10/17 Nelson Marques<nmo.marques@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> My name is Nelson and I'm a long time user of OpenOffice and OpenSUSE
>>> user. I've noticed that the openSUSE repositories are "abandoned" for
>>> the last 12 months, and I'm planning to explore the possibility of
>>> packaging it and deliver (if such is possible for a single soul with
>>> scarce time).

YES! As an openSuSE person, I too, had thought about this but hadn't
gotten around to exploring the SuSE build utility! Good for you and much
success with this. I can probably help somewhat. Thanks so much for
taking the initiative on this. Needless to say, I was quite unhappy when
openSuSE abandoned OOo. But, I installed it anyway. Not a big problem
really.

>>> I'm not sure on how it will be accepted, but I would assume a
>>> contribution like this would be welcomed by openSUSE (I don't
>>> represent openSUSE in any way). My main motivations are strong. I
>>> won't be contributing with code to Apache OpenOffice.org, unless it's
>>> something related with packaging. I've never peeked at the sources
>>> before, maybe now it's a good time to check how build this.
>>>
>>> Is this the right place to hang around ?
>>>
>>> With love from Portugal,
>>> Nelson Marques
>>>

>> Great! IMHO, a repository with a vanilla OOo build will be just perfect!
>> openSUSE's build service(1) permits to build packages not only for openSUSE,
>> but also for fedora, debian, ubuntu and others.
>
> I was only thinking on openSUSE supported, and I can cover Fedora as
> well, for the other platforms supported by OBS I have no experience at
> all (been running RH/SUSE for the last 13 years).
>
>> Be aware that there are switches that disable copyleft parts like gstreamer
>> backend and hunspell: for a user oriented build maybe is good idea to enable
>> them... ;)
>
> I'm sure that won't be a problem.
>
>> Cheers
>> Ricardo
>> (1) https://build.opensuse.org/

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39