incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo SVN
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:09:10 GMT
Hi Michael,

On 10/16/2011 09:23 AM, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 15.10.2011 19:49, Rob Weir wrote:

> sounds good; there are even still some non-integrated CWSes in there, but
> probably these are by now so outdated that they aren't of much interest.
>
>>> In more than week, at the current rate, but still it's
>>> worth it. I am not sure if support for MySpell and
>>> Xalan is still buried there somewhere but in theory
>>> there is some stuff there that may have been otherwise
>>> lost during the Hg migration.

>>> I have no idea where the CVS stuff may be available but
>>> apache-extras doesn't support CVS and it's probably not
>>> worth the try anyways.
>>
>> It is probably not useful for the project, at least directly.  But I
>> was contacted by someone off list who said it might be good to have a
>> back up as a reference, for IP reasons.  This kind of make sense.  It
>> shows the provenance of the code, and it also establish an earlier
>> data (back to 2000, right?) for publication of the code.  This is
>> useful as prior art.
>
> keep in mind that the CVS repo is pretty darn enormous, Heiner said
> something about 90G:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201106.mbox/%3C4E05D910.5070502@web.de%3E

A naive conversion of the CVS repository to SVN would have resulted in a
90 GiB repository or so. The CVS repository was, AFAIR about 7 GiB for
source modules only, or was it 9 GiB? Can't remember exactly. Of course
the old CVS repository was a huge mess with source code modules,
national language modules and documentation intermingled. Maybe someone
still has a CVSup copy of it.

Anyway, we did a pretty good job in preserving the history in the legacy
SVN and the HG repository as far as code is concerned - at least for
source files which were still active at the time of the legacy SVN
conversion. I guess that would be sufficient to answer IP related questions.

>> What are our options if we wanted to back up the CVS, and preserve the
>> revision history?   Apache-Extras doesn't do CVS.
>
> hmm... converting to something non-CVS is probably not an option, because
> that would lose information (given the nature of CVS any large repo is a
> huge mess...).

Don't go there :-)

> perhaps mirror it with CVSup, make a tarball and upload that somewhere...
>
> probably nobody really wants to actually look at it, it's more of an
> "insurance" thing, right?

Regards,
   Heiner

--