incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:34:11 GMT

On 10/17/2011 09:20 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 17, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> No objections to having that info on the wiki, but I don't see
>>> where that info helps with the migration.

Some of the lists in question may be moderated. Hopefully you/we won't
run into any issues about that.

  The post will talk about the overall effort of

Yes. We definitely need to work on such a statement (wiki page)

>>> Great.  If we have a good statement on overall migration, we can
>>> include that.  Or if it is still "work in progress" I can link to
>>> a wiki page where the latest info can be found.  But there is no
>>> technical requirement for us to figure everything out before we
>>> move forward on independent pieces that we do understand.  We've
>>> done that already in other areas, like source code, issue
>>> tracking, and soon the forums.   And in general, it is to our
>>> benefit to move ahead with the pieces we do understand,
>>> especially communications vehicles, so we're not caught in a bad
>>> situation if the legacy servers unexpectedly became unavailable.
>>> It is prudent to ensure that we have the main means of
>>> communication solidly on Apache servers sooner rather than
>>> later.
>>
>> It will certainly be a work in progress, the more the ML changes
>> are put in the context of the total migration the better.

[ this para is from Dave's response. I don't know why it's not staying
put...sorrry!]
In the three to four weeks that it will take to get to step (7) AOOo and
Apache Infra should have control over the openoffice.org MX records. An
easier alternative would be to decide what MX services we want to
continue on openoffice.org and do the MX migration at this point. Even
if it will bounce and/or forward email.

>>> I'd be opposed to any automatic forwarding of list traffic or
>>> indiscriminate transferring of subscriptions from the legacy
>>> lists. Several of the legacy lists are are over-run by spammers.
>>> An earlier poster said they get 80-120 moderation requests per
>>> day.  We have a good opportunity to "clean house" and to leave
>>> the spammers behind.
>>
>> Let's not forget that there are a number of people who make use of
>> their @openoffice.org email address. We owe it to these people to
>> give them some time to react if these are being dropped. There are
>> also implications with BZ - at least in bug ownership and accounts.
>> We've "bikeshedded" on these addresses, we now need a plan. If
>> someone cares enough about openoffice.org personal email addresses
>> we'll need volunteers to work out the details.
>>

> Nothing I've proposed will impact the @openoffice.org mail
> forwarding service.   That is an independent issue that we need to
> develop a plan for and communicate. But it is reasonable that when we
> announce mailing list changes that we'll also get questions related
> to the forwarding service.
>
> It makes me think that we would benefit from a single user-facing
> page on the current status of the migration.  What has moved, what
> hasn't, what the general plan is.  Something with a lot less
> technical detail than we have on the wiki right now.  A high level
> summary that we can point users to.
>
> -Rob
>
>> Regards, Dave

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39