incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Foundation blog posting on Apache OOo
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 18:52:51 GMT
On 10/17/2011 1:58 PM, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
> Am 14.10.2011 18:22, schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> Whereas it is in the self-interest of those entities
> Hmm, I think it's not that easy. We see Team OpenOffice.org (as the
> legal entity behind the old Community Council) still in the
> repsonsibilty of an uncredible amount of users which gave their support
> in the last decade to OpenOffice.org (the old one).
> And it was not Team OpenOffice.org acting so that we going to have two
> forks of the old codebase in the future.
> We'd look foward to support collaboration and to re-unify forces, so
> that we come to a stronger product and project than we ever had, but I
> don't think that it helps to ignore history of OpenOfffice.org completly,
>
> Martin (Team OpenOffice.org e.V.)

That's great news - I'm sure with your experience the Apache OpenOffice
PPMC will be very glad to see you participating on the mailing lists
here and helping to get a new release out for the podling.  8-)

I understand that this is a difficult situation for a large number of
people and organizations.  The best way forward here at Apache is to
work with this PPMC on figuring out the new way forward with a future
Apache OpenOffice product that can make use of as much of the great code
and goodwill that the previous OpenOffice.org project created as
possible - both so we can support the end-users looking for a
high-quality product, and so we can support other developers wishing to
use our permissively-licensed code.

Two key factors for moving forward here at Apache include:

- Working in the Apache Way, on our public mailing lists.  I'll repeat
an old phrase that is critical to understanding how we work:

   "If it didn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't happen."

- Working with the PPMC - and other relevant organizations - to respect
everyone's trademarks.  That includes the "OpenOffice.org" registered
trademark and logo which now belong to the ASF here in the USand other
countries, as well as the many other closely related trademarks used by
third parties in various countries.

- Shane