incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Staged Migration of OO.o domain properties (long)
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:25:37 GMT
 > I've been pondering what it takes to choreograph migration of the live
 > OpenOffice.org properties into Apache custodianship.
...snip...

Great starts all.

Where is the noodling and proposed list of what domains we want to keep
(i.e. host as *.oo.o to keep links, or host at ooo.a.o/* because it's
project oriented information) and what ones we're not going to keep?

In particular, other than keeping some of the highly linked
informational domains from oo.o, I would expect that there would be
significantly fewer major domain names being used in the future project.
  But maybe that's just me.

A parallel discussion might be how we use oo.o versus ooo.a.o in the
future.  The development core of the project needs to be on ooo.a.o (or
whatever name y'all choose), as do the actual future download sites.

I'm thinking of oo.o as an informational portal, mostly with either
immediate redirects or with informational pages that point people
towards the appropriate ooo.a.o pages.  Then we can in the future
consider adding additional user-based information on the whole OOo
ecosystem to the oo.o site.

One important aspect is to ensure that user expectations for Apache
software are met.  That means anything served off of an *.apache.org
domain must meet the project branding requirements, be under the Apache
license, etc.  For normal projects, we'd ask that oo.o redirect to the
ooo.a.o domain, but in this case, with the huge and valuable history of
the OOo project, I think we'll end up treating oo.o subtly different
than other Apache domains in terms of what content we're comfortable
hosting there.

- Shane