incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 23:17:21 GMT
This is a specific issue that is important to understand:

On 10/16/2011 5:25 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On 16 October 2011 21:42, Alexandro Colorado<jza@openoffice.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Ross Gardler<rgardler@opendirective.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just a meta-observation. Generally it is better to define things
>>> that need to be done
>>

> One thing I think needs doing is to get some promotional videos on You tube
> and get them further promoted through the community. If they get a lot of
> hits we can even earn from advertising as well as getting the word out. I am
> pretty busy at the moment but if there is a lull I'll take a look at what is
> on You Tube OOo related.
...snip...

When you say "...we can even earn from advertising...", what
specifically are you thinking of?

I think this is an area where the ASF's rules and best practices differ
significantly from how OOo has been run in the past, so it would be good
to start a serious conversation on this before too long.

In terms of official project actions, all official fundraising at the
ASF is handled via fundraising@, and the ASF does not accept targeted
donations, only donations to the Foundation as a whole.  Projects are
certainly welcome to get the word out about the ASF and about their work
- we love our projects that do the extra work to clearly articulate
their software and their ideas to the world.  But any fundraising
activities by projects need to be for the ASF overall, and cannot be
just for the project.

Thinking about it another way: why does the AOOo project need to make
money?   Really - what needs does the AOOo project have that the ASF is
not / does not appear to be handling?

- Shane