incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there an org chart of the previous OOo governance(s)?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:16:42 GMT

On 10/13/2011 06:49 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 9:18 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>> Juergen Schmidt may be able to provide more insight here when he can
>>> catch
>>> up to the list as he was a member of the CC.
>>>

>> i don't really want to comment on this because of my history. The general
>> idea and intention of the CC was good but in practise in was never
>> able to
>> operate or run in the way it should. So let us focus on finding our
>> own new
>> way...
>>
>> I am sure that over time we will find a way that is Apache conform and
>> that
>> will reflect the way how we work here. Some kind of governance will
>> establish automatically in different areas. We will trust people who have
>> shown expertise in development and code questions, the same for people
>> who
>> focus on documentation, on marketing, QA etc. We will simply trust
>> lets call
>> it working groups and will correct things if necessary or something
>> fails.
>
> Apologies: I think I was unclear in my original note, as several replies
> seem to show.
>
> I have no interest in replicating any previous governance structures, or
> even necessarily using them as models in future governance. The Apache
> PMC structure (here, a Podling PMC) is already well defined, both in
> general across Apache projects and in specific here within the Apache
> OOo podling.
>
> In particular, factors like the inherent corporate control in many
> previous OOo governance structures is something that is explicitly
> forbidden at Apache. Likewise, the multiplicity of separate governance
> communities (as it seems the various projects had, at least to my
> untrained eye) is also something that is not part of the Apache Way.
> Similarly, while Apache projects strive to use consensus to drive
> projects forward, there is also a clear set of rules for [VOTE]ing to
> ensure that formal and binding decisions are made in a timely manner.

Shane--

I think you've probably got as much of an answer as anyone here can give
-- well save a few (Marcus, Martin) -- based on your research on the web
site, the Community Council and the ESR. In addition to these two
groups, from my recollection, were the actual "project leads" (PLs) that
fed into this process -- from which, supposedly, the 3 “Product
Development Representatives” were chosen.

see
http://council.openoffice.org/councilcharter12.html

At what time I was a project lead but never a member of the council.
Louis S-P, the head of the project, was always pretty good about
communicating things to the PLs as I recall, and of course, at any time,
we could always contact him.

As far as the use of the "brand" and other information, this the only
relevant page I've come across...
http://about.openoffice.org/index.html#logo

Much of it has to do wiht the use of the  logo and other graphical
elements, but this particular sentence is interesting---

"To ensure the use to the benefit of the project and in support for the
product we protect our name and our brand elements, especially the
official logo. OpenOffice.org and the OpenOffice.org logo are trademarks
or registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates."

I'm not a legal eagle , but I would say any entity that in some way
contains the string "OpenOffice.org" would be subject to trademark
restrictions/requirements, etc.

> To be specific, we have a PPMC that runs the Apache OOo project, and
> effectively will be managing the openoffice.org domain and brands. While
> various committers here may work in groups or on various Apache mailing
> lists to move the project forward, the PPMC is the governing body. This
> fairly flat governance model is definitely a change for those who may
> have experience with working in OOo in the past.
>
> For those who haven't read it, here's an essay I wrote which I think
> would be valuable for people concerned about the independence of PMC
> governance here at Apache:
>
> http://communityovercode.com/2011/05/apache-projects-are-independent/
>
> In any case, I was just curious as to what the previous structures were
> so I can understand them better, and hopefully be better prepared to
> explain to people what has happened in the OpenOffice.org "world".
>
> Sorry if anyone mistook my query to think that I was interested in
> replicating any past governance structures - I assure you, I am not.
>
> - Shane

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39