incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Foundation blog posting on Apache OOo
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:53:33 GMT
I can't speak for Jim, but I can say that the spirit of "best wishes to
the TDF and LibreOffice" is honest and sincere from my point of view.

I also believe it's sincere from the point of view of the Apache
OpenOffice podling - there have been multiple offers to try to work
together and explicit notes on our public lists that LibreOffice is
always welcome to use our Apache Licensed code in any way that the
license allows.

I also believe it's sincere on behalf of the ASF on the larger sense.
The ASF is a non profit devoted to the public good.  The way we serve
the public is by providing high quality software freely, under our
permissive license.  The way we do that is the Apache Way - our
collaborative, consensus-based, and diverse communities of individuals
who volunteer their work to our projects.  We have no real beef
(argument) with anyone as long as they're honest in their statements
about us, and as long as they comply with our license and branding policies.

We are perfectly happy to have other open source groups be successful -
even ones with technology that might (in some eyes) be seen to be
competing with our projects.  Heck, there are several Apache projects
that have apparently competing technologies as well - and we're happy to
host each of them.  All we ask (for Apache projects) is that we have a
respectful and well run volunteer community behind it that is willing to
follow the Apache Way.

We're also perfectly happy to have other people take our code and re-use
it: that's the whole point of our license.  We want people - the users
of our software - to have the maximum freedom to use our software
however they want, with the minimal restrictions as spelled out in our
license.  So in that way, we will be happy if and when LibreOffice can
make use of some of the code we're now working on.  Even if it may
appear to some folks that it's a competing product.

Open source communities aren't a zero sum game.  There are plenty of
volunteers out there.  It's up to the individuals to choose how and
where they want to volunteer their time.  Much like you have a number of
passionate volunteers who actively work at TDF and on LibreOffice, we
have a number of passionate volunteers who actively work at the ASF and
on Apache OpenOffice.

So yes, we're certainly hoping to play together nicely!

- Shane