incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Can we close the old mercury servers?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:17:24 GMT

On 10/14/2011 8:49 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com>  wrote:
>> One of the comments on the Foundation blog is:
>>
>> "Unless I'm mistaken, nothing has happened in the last 6 months:
>> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300"
>>
>> It is perfectly understandable why someone would make this mistake.
>>
>> Can we please do something about the old Mercury servers.
>>
> I think we should be redirecting common legacy URLs to their new
> counterpoints rather than simply closing or deleting things.
> Otherwise someone, like the commenter, will not just think the code
> has not been touched in 6 months.  They will think that the code is
> unavailable entirely.  The issue is external links into the project,
> including links from the Google search index.  You deal with that with
> HTTP redirection.
+1
We seem very close to transferring the DNS to Apache - at that point it
will be very easy to do this.
As a general rule, I think we should be looking toward fixing issues on
the Apache side, as opposed to putting effort into mucking with the
content still hosted by Oracle.  So, instead of spending time changing
the templates and favicon for the sites hosted on Kenai, we should be
looking to turn on the content hosted at Apache. (just my view...)
Most urgent is the transfer of the DNS, the Forum, and the Wiki.    The
stuff hosted at services.openoffice.org is living on borrowed time, and
we need to look at who can help admin the instances hosted at Apache so
that we can do a switch over.

A.