incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 22:02:24 GMT

On 10/13/2011 12:31 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2011, at 11:57 AM, floris v wrote:
>
>> Please forgive my ignorance, but what's really the problem with
>> the Kenai templates and all that? If we can import the actual data
>> (which, I suppose, sits in a database) in some readable format,
>> isn't it possible to replace the Kenai stuff with Apache stuff?
>> There'd probably be only one html or php page with the Oracle and
>> Kenai logos on it and all pages in that section would be extracted
>> from the db and inserted in that template. Not such a big deal, or
>> so it seems. All that is needed is Apache logos and maybe some
>> other graphics and formatting like different fonts, dependent on
>> what goes with the Apache styles. What am I missing?
>
> You are missing nothing. Much of the OOo web code is in the AOOo svn
> repository already. Kenai has svn and there are scripts in our
> project svn to export.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
>
> I am working on the wrapping. It is almost to the point where anyone
> can easily help and I'll update those instructions. Other plans seem
> to be coming together soon, in a matter of weeks.
>
> Shane is looking for a more immediate solution. He is asking if it is
> possible to change the existing site template hosted by Oracle at
> Kenai. This is not so easy, but we are looking to see if someone has
> that "foo" and will step forward.

HI floris v...

and mostly ditto on Dave's comments. We have NO intention of trying to
recreate kenai. The problem at the moment is no one, and I do think I
mean pretty much no one (well Andrew says he has access to "the machine"
but can he can fix the Oracle branding?), is even minding the kenai.org
(now .com) store. That is, this site/project, was also abandoned by
Oracle just about the time it gave over OpenOffice to Apache. Go to

http://kenai.com/

to read what's there.

What this essentially means is there's a machine up complete with a
bunch of old kenai projects on it (OpenOffice.org being one) and no
kenai master at hand.

Our best best, IMHO, is to just get the DNS (name transfer to Apache)
done as quickly as possible; do whatever we need to to get a skeleton
site up (Dave and I, but mostly Dave have been working toward this for a
bit); fix the DNS records to point openoffice.org to the new "actual
Apache machine", and get on with it.

Bottom line. We will NOT be using kenai templates, (and yes, we've
already got the relevant page "guts" if you will,) and we don't care
about them *now* except for all the Oracle branding that's there and we
can't fix. Andrew might be able to figure this out...I don't know.

> Regards, Dave
>

>> Peter Roelofsen aka floris v

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39