incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:26:39 GMT
Am 10/13/2011 12:43 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 10/11/2011 03:51 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Shane, just to clarify a bit. As far as I know, the PPMC does not
>>> have the keys, as it were, to the live OpenOffice.org site.
>>> Apparently someone does, and some touch ups are made, but it is all
>>> sort of behind the scenes and, um, not very transparent, especially
>>> since there is no archive or repository that the PPMC has
>>> visibility into.
>>
>> Marcus is the only one I know of who has made changes to the existing
>> OOo websites. I don't know if he has access to the site template.
>
> Part of the "branding" problem on the current site is the the kenai
> templates, which all sites on kenai are apparently subject to -- include
> the standard Oracle footers etc. I could be wrong about this but I don't
> think so. So, no amount of dinkering can get away from that. This is
> still Oracle equip with an Oracle product running on it (kenai) and
> thus, unless and until we move the site "en masse" or redirect it to
> Apache equipment, this stays.

I don't know of someone who is still able to change things inside the
Kenai infra *and* is also around here on ooo-dev@.

The problem is that the people have left the OOo project but it's still
running on Oracle's infra. A third party (Apache) was invited to take
over what they want but nobody can help with some details. Sad situation.

> Yes, this had made me quite uncomfortable for a while, but, well, what
> can we do? The dns enries may have changed to Apache but the actual
> equipment? no. Not a good situation in my mind.
>
> A rude alternative would be to dump the whol site somewhere else, with
> whatever we've got going now, and ye,s some thigns will break but major
> content will still be in tact.
>
> If infra gets the site Dave and sue "web worthy", we can take a look at
> the viability of this kind of move.
>

>> If Apache Infra makes progress on the JIRA issues I mentioned then I
>> think that we can gain traction on moving the openoffice.org static
>> website very soon. I'll flesh out a proposal on the CWiki in the next
>> few days based on the various content we have accumulated.
>
> Keepin my fingers crossed. Really, I think the mis-match on this (the
> continual Oracle branding and the site itself) is a source of a lot of
> confusion at this point.

Unformatunately +1

Marcus