incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:43:39 GMT

On 10/11/2011 03:51 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Shane, just to clarify a bit.  As far as I know, the PPMC does not
>> have the keys, as it were, to the live OpenOffice.org site.
>> Apparently someone does, and some touch ups are made, but it is all
>> sort of behind the scenes and, um, not very transparent, especially
>> since there is no archive or repository that the PPMC has
>> visibility into.
>
> Marcus is the only one I know of who has made changes to the existing
> OOo websites. I don't know if he has access to the site template.

Part of the "branding" problem on the current site is the the kenai
templates, which all sites on kenai are apparently subject to -- include
the standard Oracle footers etc. I could be wrong about this but I don't
think so. So, no amount of dinkering can get away from that. This is
still Oracle equip with an Oracle product running on it (kenai) and
thus, unless and until we move the site "en masse" or redirect it to
Apache equipment, this stays.

Yes, this had made me quite uncomfortable for a while, but, well, what
can we do? The dns enries may have changed to Apache but the actual
equipment? no. Not a good situation in my mind.

A rude alternative would be to dump the whol site somewhere else, with
whatever we've got going now, and ye,s some thigns will break but major
content will still be in tact.

If infra gets the site Dave and sue "web worthy", we can take a look at
the viability of this kind of move.

> If Apache Infra makes progress on the JIRA issues I mentioned then I
> think that we can gain traction on moving the openoffice.org static
> website very soon. I'll flesh out a proposal on the CWiki in the next
> few days based on the various content we have accumulated.

Keepin my fingers crossed. Really, I think the mis-match on this (the
continual Oracle branding and the site itself) is a source of a lot of
confusion at this point.

>> However, there does need to be some lofting around what is a
>> roadmap here, and how does the existing live site be staged (and
>> users informed) for transition of the properties under
>> OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> I'm thinking on it.  I am trusting that others with their hands on
>> the knobs and dials will also speak up on what they can do by way
>> of preparation for staging, and then staging.
>
> One of the JIRA issues was for a staging server for
> www.openoffice.org. If that is present MANY hands are enabled as the
> Apache CMS will work directly on the site.
>
> Regards, Dave
>

>> - Dennis
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Shane Curcuru
>> [mailto:asf@shanecurcuru.org] Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011
>> 13:55 To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: Status of
>> migration of OOo domains?
>>
>> Heh, indeed, while I so completely disagree with Rob's style here
>> that I don't even know where to start, he does have a point in that
>> things get done in projects by people who actually do them.
>>
>> Wearing my mentor hat, my primary job is to encourage the
>> community around this project to grow in a healthy manner and do
>> the things themselves.  So from my mentor hat perspective, I'm
>> really not a very good example in what I do.  As a mentor, there
>> are things where you should "do as I say, not as I do", because
>> part of the point of being a mentor is to help *you* (as in the
>> community) actually start doing things.
>>
>> ----
>>
>> On the other hand, wearing my VP, Brand hat, I strongly urge the
>> PPMC to take action on my email, especially the points about
>> ensuring some sort of branding updates are done on existing
>> openoffice.org websites.  In particular, I'm concerned about the
>> non-code areas - fundraising, leadership, marketing, and the like.
>> I'd really like to see the PPMC taking ownership and working out
>> how they want to manage the transition in ownership from all those
>> web properties, but starting to at least make some updates in place
>> reflecting the future plans for the sites.
>>
>> If not, then yes, I will eventually get to it, and I will do the
>> work myself, unilaterally, as VP, Brand (i.e. not as a mentor on
>> this project).
>>
>> It's inappropriate for the project to spend so long with so much
>> "orphan" content on oo.o sites, wherein it's kinda Oracle's (and
>> is perceived as dead by more people each day), and it's kinda ours
>> (since we have a transfer of the domains and marks).  We need
>> action on showing the rest of the world where we're planning to go
>> with this great big brand and chunk of content we've inherited.
>>
>> - Shane

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
            -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39