incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <mathias.ba...@numberfour.eu>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:07:47 GMT
On 05.10.2011 02:46, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 03:12:09PM -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> The GStreamer integration doesn't make sense without
>>> GStreamer - so we
>>> shouldn't build it when no GStreamer libs are available.
>>>

>> Agreed.
>>
>>> We decided that configure without switches should be the
>>> default Apache build. OTOH we didn't agree on linking
>>> against lgpl libraries in the system in this default
>>> build, so I disabled GStreamer by default (as
>>> well as some other copyleft components - there is no
>>> difference in that regard between GStreamer and hunspell!).
>>
>> There is a *huge* difference here: Hunspell is MPL so we can
>> use it. LGPL is category X: we can't use Gstreamer at at.
>>
>> We can keep the MPL stuff around but anything GPL we should
>> consider extensions and move to apache-extras. The glue code
>> that we can relicense to AL2 we will, of course.
>
> but we are talking here about the GStreamer *plugin*. Just like the gtk
> and kde VLC plugins, they have Oracle license, and they are in the
> software grant, this means they (will) have Apache License.
>
> If AOOo will build a vanilla Linux version it should be shipped with the
> gtk and kde plugins (no desktop integration is a no-go!). Following this
> argument, it should also ship the GStreamer integration (here going back
> to the Java Media Framework is a no-go!).

The difference is that you can safely assume that one of the vcl plugins
will work on the user's computer without urging him to install
additional packages. That's not true for GStreamer.

The GStreamer plugin can't even be compiled without GStreamer libraries
installed. Of course you can use them installed in your system, but - as
I wrote - so far we didn't agree that this should be allowed in a
Vanilla build. So the correct way to build with GStreamer from the
system is using "--with-system-GStreamer" or so (don't know if this
switch exists already). Without any switch we must assume that the
GStreamer lib is not available and so we can't compile the plugin.

As soon as we have an agreement that building against system libs is OK
for a Vanilla AOOo build , we can compile much more stuff in OOo on
Linux, most probably nearly every copyleft component we had to disable
otherwise.

Of course that would probably mean that our Linux version won't run out
of the box on most Linux machines as the old OOo version did. It will
run only on those computers that have compatible versions of all
libraries installed in their system that were used in the build. That's
the price you have to pay.

Regards,
Mathias