incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:12:00 GMT
On 04/10/2011 23:58 RGB ES wrote:
> I can see a big problem coming: with every single Linux distro using LibO
> for the foreseeable future and considering the fact that nobody will build
> OOo at home (specially on windows), if, say, next year somebody install OOo
> 3.4 that will be for sure an Apache build.

I think that, when a new version of OpenOffice.org is released, most
distributions will make OpenOffice.org available again in their
repositories. Offering LibreOffice too is no problem: major
distributions have at least a dozen text editors, half a dozen e-mail
programs and three Office suites (OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice, KOffice
or derivatives and Abiword+Gnumeric). Offering both OpenOffice.org and
LibreOffice will be just normal.

> compiled with no switches, that will mean that every person downloading and
> installing OOo 3.4 will find an office suite not only without multimedia
> support, but also without spell checker!

When they package OpenOffice.org, distributions will make sure to use
the right switches to benefit from other packages installed in the
system and to offer better integration. This is what happens now for
virtually all distributions shipping OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice, so,
like Pedro wrote, I don't expect big problems here.

Regards,
   Andrea.