incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Having New Committers also be on the PPMC
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2011 03:11:53 GMT

> It has been the practice, thus far, that all newly-invited committers are invited to
also be on the Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC). Some decline being on the PPMC,
some accept, some accept but don't actually show up at the PPMC, etc.

> A question was raised at the PPMC whether that practice should be continued.
>
> One alternative would be to invite people to be committers and to invite committers to
become PPMC members separately.

> Another alternative would be to decide on each individual consideration, whether to invite
as committer or as committer plus PPMC.

> This discussion is to find out what the sentiments in the ooo-dev community are on this
subject.  It is also a way to learn what your questions are and endeavor to answer them.

>   - Dennis
>
> SOME CONTEXT
>
> The initial committers, those who were signed up on the original podling proposal, are
automatically grandfathered into the project as committers and PPMC members.  There are still
some of those who have not shown up, some have submitted iCLAs but not gone farther, some
do not respond to follow-up e-mails etc.  Although there was discussion here on ooo-dev about
having an use-by date on the Initial Committer invitations, action has not been taken to offer
a last-chance and a deadline at this point.  (I think that has been my action; I have not
given it any priority.)

> MY PREFERENCE
>
> Since, I am speaking first, here's my view.
>
> My preference is to continue the current practice of inviting contributors to be both
committers and members of the PPMC.  I have seen it recommended for Podlings and I see no
reason to suddenly change.  Also, I expect there will be some culling of the PPMC on graduation
to a top-level project and a PMC.

> I have seen no harm in the practice whatsoever.  There has been no injury or damage no
matter what apprehensions there are about having a wide membership in the PPMC.

> The current practice exposes more contributors to the workings of the PPMC, and it also
provides a way for contributors who are not exclusively focused on development to offer their
contributions in yet another way.  Part of the challenge of the incubator is to develop a
sustainable activity for continuing renewal of participation in the face of contributor, committer,
and PPMC member turnover.  It is the initial PPMCs challenge to foster that and live it.

> The way to develop a resilient, sustainable project, is to keep PPMC membership open
to new committers for now.

> That's one view.  There are many more.  What are they?

I think the current practice of offering committer and PPMC should
continue. People can decline PPMC if they do not wish to participate in
that.

I came here as one of the original PPMC. New to both Apache and OOo
development as a participant.

I DO think the PPMC carries additional responsibility. Not to come and
go, but be here every day, going through the lists, staying current,
commenting and voting when necessary.

I spend countless hours on this list looking for ways to contribute.
Mostly reading, sometimes commenting, and doing something when I can.

If the discussion is in an area I feel is better left to others , I stay
out of it. I think that will be the way most will be.

Best regards,
Carl