incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: Foundation blog posting on Apache OOo
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:18:39 GMT

On Oct 14, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011 7:07 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> My unsolicited advice:
>>
>> There are several topics in the single announcement from ASF.  My
>> recommendation is to read the paragraph that mentions TDF as independent
> of
>> the other material.  From here, it looked like an olive branch.  It's
>> unfortunate that it looks like a barbed spear to some at the other end.
>
> Fine advice, but my opinion and yours interpreting Apache's official
> statement won't hold much weight; it needs official clarification, which is
> why I'm glad Jim has engaged here. I hope he or Sally will provide the
> necessary clarification which I'll be pleased to pass on tomorrow.

As I said, the PR has 2 functions: To discourage (and clarify) the FUD being spread around
regarding OpenOffice and to remind all that the OpenOffice ecosystem is fine, and will continue
to be fine, as long as we all work together (and continue to encourage that).

FOSS requires not only collaboration between developers, but also between communities.