incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:05:25 GMT
Rob,

I find this response ironic as I was only following your suggestion to make this discussion
more visible. After two days I felt that someone should do it,.

It's the weekend have a good one and let's discusses teams and roles with other's input.

Regards,
Dave

On Oct 14, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> The real point to this discussion is that the AOOo podling PPC needs a clear Marketing
Team.

> If I may make an observation:  the people doing the majority of the
> code commits are really not active in the marketing/press/brand
> threads. And those that are most active in the marketing/press/brand
> threads are not writing a lot of code. This is not a problem.  We have
> a diversity of interests.  But it suggests there might be some value
> in spinning off an ooo-marketing list first, allow anyone who wishes
> to join, and then drill into these other topics.  Maybe the
> participants of that list become essentially the "marketing team"?
> There is some advantage to letting the coders focus on the code, with
> less thread churn, and let other groups concentrate on other
> functions.  For things that require project-wide discussions (and not
> everything does) we can agree to discuss on ooo-dev as the main list.
> Or maybe we create an ooo-general for that.

from the PPMC responsible for certain roles. We quickly proceeded with a Press Liaison due
to the immediate need. Before settling on a larger set of roles let's have a discussion and
come to a consensus.

community with the many communities in the OOo universe.

>>> Worf?
>>>
>>> But seriously, we already have a security team in place, via the
>>> ooo-security list.  Their responsibilities also include security
>>> co-ordination.  But we could certainly use another 2 or 3 volunteers
>>> there, especially among active coders on the project.
>>
>> My thought is if we have someone on the PPMC who volunteers for first chance to answer
security questions on ooo-dev or ooo-users then we will quickly have a common and measured
response.

(Would we have other special relationships?)

>>> All our relations are special.  But I assume it would be silly to have
>>> a liaison to IBM Lotus Symphony.

>>> I think of that as being a marketing function.  Could break it out,
>>> but these two functions would need to closely coordinate.  Maybe think
>>> of it this way:  I could certainly imagine a dedicated ooo-marketing
>>> mailing list.  But I don't think an ooo-branding list would get much
>>> traffic.

proper. That the NOTICE and LICENSE files are correct. Seek copyright assignments from authors
where helpful. (Is this another team?)

>>> I think that is a core dev function, since it will mainly involve
>>> changing heads in the source files, etc.  With the clarifications we
>>> received from Robert, I don't see a problem here.  Also, this is not
>>> an ongoing role.  Once we've done the initial IP processing, the
>>> committers as a whole pay attention to IP requirements on a daily
>>> basis.  So it is important for the committers as a whole to all be
>>> familiar with the requirements here.
>>
>> I'm willing to move Legal to a different thread. We do need someone to help with
TOU on the migration side. It is more to have one person asking Legal, not several people
with variations.

>> I haven't looked at Robert's comments other than I knew we needed to wait for Andrew
to comment.

>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> -- Social media (or media in general), so press, blog, twitter,
>>> facebook, etc.   Or maybe that goes with marketing?
>>>
>>> Obviously the answers here will depend on volunteers and how much time
>>> they can dedicate to these tasks.
>>>
>>> -Rob

to find one or more PPMC

of ooo-security.