incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:25:59 GMT
Simon,

Please don't despair!

On Oct 24, 2011, at 3:32 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2011, at 04:37, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Simon,
>>
>> I hope TDF members (and members of other related source projects) will
>> accept our hospitality and join us on the securityteam list.
>
> Your words show you missed the entire point of my proposal, Rob, and leave me too frustrated
to want to discuss the matter with you any further; we were all so close to agreement when
you were on vacation.  My attempted contribution on this list and at TDF is to envisage grounds
for co-operation between these two divided parts of the legacy StarOffice/OpenOffice community.
It is not to be a messenger for your alternative ideas.

I think that Rob is getting ahead of the situation. We need to reach a simple agreement about
this single issue before bringing up other obvious places of overlap.  I think we may really
be closer than we think.

Not sure how much this is like your original proposal, but maybe the following is acceptable:

(1) The securityteam@openoffice.org continues.

(2) The membership of securityteam ML should be open to individuals and forks/"downstreams"
as selected by the ML membership.

(3) The securityteam ML moderators are selected from the individual membership of the securityteam
ML.

(4) The securityteam ML is nominally under the governance of the ASF - either the AOOo podling
PPMC, the Apache Security Team, or even the Foundation Board. I think the AOOo podling PPMC
should be acceptable, but we can ask the other entities if that is not is not neutral enough.
We may ask the TDF to neutrally host some component and it would make sense for each entity
to trust the neutrality of the other entity (Rob's real point).

(5) No iCLAs are required.

(6) A set point for membership is determined when at least AOOo, TDF, and any other OOo fork/"downstreams"
who might appear within a reasonably short time period. The deadline would need to be agreed.

(7) The securityteam@openoffice.org ML will be hosted by the ASF when the MX for openoffice.org
is moved to ASF Infrastructure.

> I suggest you go to their mailing lists and make your proposals. Maybe you can earn TDF
membership with your contributions?

This is a reasonable place to go to ask the TDF to host some component OOo by the TDF.

I'm currently curious if LO uses extensions.s.oo.o and templates.s.oo.o?

Regards,
Dave