incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:55:30 GMT

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:36 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> It's been almost two months [1] since Oracle officially started assigning the various
oo.o domains to the ASF.  Do we have any actual progress on migrating - or at least re-branding
to show Apache heritage rather than Oracle - the actual content of various oo.o sites?

Kay and I put all the web content is in the AOOo svn at -  /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/

The CMS build is a work in progress as different parts present differing html. I planned to
work on this some more but I have been down with a pinched nerve. Pain killers are the only
reason I am typing now.

Joe Schaefer and I discussed this sometime ago when I split the OOo site over from the incubator
site tree. There is this JIRA ticket for a staging version.

INFRA-3933 www.OpenOffice.org staging site - http://site-ooo.apache.org - using the Apache
CMS

I'll put up a build on my people site in the next day or two.

Also, we are waiting on Infra for Domain Registration Transfer - see

INFRA-3898 Transfer the openoffice domain from Oracle to ASF

> In particular, I'm concerned not just about the technical/code content, but also about
other content, especially oo.o sites that may require significant changes to reflect ASF ownership
and Apache OOo stewardship of these domains.  There are far too many different kinds of content,
I imagine, to have a single way to transfer all of them, so I think we really need to just
start on at least some rebranding and figuring out which ones can be moved (or changed) independently.

> In particular, I'd really like to see people working on the non-code informational sites
on oo.o like about, council, marketing, infrastructure (or website), and the other topics
of bizdev, certification, distribution, and especially security.

The content is there and I am here to help anyone with the wrapping if they are ahead of me.
There are instructions.

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html

> Independent of the great code we've inherited, we've also inherited a rather large brand,
and I think we need the PPMC to take a much more active and constructive focus on managing
that.

One issue I think we need to address is that the people who will support this added infrastructure
need to become enabled to work with APache Infrastructure. Perhaps these are people who should
be offered Commiter and not PPMC if elected by the PPMC. Maybe these are the individuals where
an ICLA first policy should be used. We need many volunteers for AOOo infrastructure.

> I'm presuming the best place to get an overall view of what's being done is on the wiki,
correct?

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-to-ASF-site-recommendation

I think so.

Regards,