incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:43:20 GMT

On Oct 26, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 10/24/2011 03:08 AM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
>> Am 10/23/2011 11:50 PM, schrieb Peter Pöml:
>>> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 01:15:34 +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,

>>> Okay... Little question, wouldn't it make sense, at this point, to take
>>> the download.s.o.o VM and move it somewhere else? I don't have the disk
>>> space myself, but maybe somebody else has? Perhaps the ASF can provide
>>> the space? (Other than disk space, the requirements are pretty modest.)
>>> Then the entire download service could continue to run, with very low
>>> effort, and without the need to build everything from scratch for now.
>>
>> The problem is that the ASF do not want to host and provide services of
>> special software for single projects. I can understand this as even the
>> ASF infra is a team of volunteers and their time is limited as it is for
>> all others.

They are building a lot special for AOOo. THANKS!

So, it depends. If we define a stack for services and get support then it is a lot like the
MWiki and Forums. Infrastructure will help secure the servers, but the project will need to
provide sysadmins.

I've heard that "Jails" are available.

>> Furthermore, I don't know details about the VM setup and where it's
>> detailed located. Do you?
>>
>> However, I like your idea. It requires indeed only a bit diskspace and
>> internet access. The maintainance could be done by us, the project
>> members. If you would share a bit of your knowledge then I could
>> takeover the admin role. ;-)
>
> @Peter:
> Can you tell me how to get to the VM? Or at least which important config files to save?

Are there requirements for more than what is on the mirrorbrain page?

http://mirrorbrain.org/requirements/

Extracting the list gives:

Apache HTTPD server
mod_mirrorbrain
mod_form
mod_geoip / libGeoIP
PostgreSQL (or Apache DBD API compatible driver)

mod_asn ?

	• Python and some modules: psycopg2, sqlobject, cmdln.
	• Perl and some modules: Config::IniFiles, libwww::perl, DBD::Pg, Digest::MD4, Date::Parse

If we are on ASF hardware then we won't want to serve a local copy:

So, "Alternatively, a pseudo file tree can created locally. In that case, MirrorBrain needs
to be configured to never deliver files directly."

http://mirrorbrain.org/archive/mirrorbrain/0045.html

>> @List:
>> Has anybody an idea about where to host this service? It doesn't need to
>> be necessarily inside the ASF.
>
> Really nobody?

If the mirrorbrain instructions are that simple and can be easily supplemented with detail.

Like what database is currently being used on download.s.oo.o? and which version?

>>> Yes, please use my host for now!
>>
>> Great, thanks a lot.

>>> Thanks a lot. Same to you all,
>
> Marcus