incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Vulnerability fixed in LibreOffice
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:22:19 GMT
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:26:22 -0700
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> I do want to point out that observers can't tell when they are
> seeing a newcomer-to-Apache-PPMC insisting on what the Apache
> Way is, versus what the Apache Way is.  This is a podling.  Of
> the 55-or-so established PPMC members, around 5 were already
> Apache committers on other projects and, as far as I can tell,
> not one of those that was not also a ASF member had been on a
> [P]PMC before.  I think it is a fair distance between a newborn
> and "responsible Apache people."  That podlings are mainly to
> be self-training, does not mean that potty training is
> unnecessary.  If that is mystifying to onlookers, imagine how
> it is for those of us in the thick of it
.
Thank you  for that posting, Dennis.  It covers points I thought
of elaborating but held off on, because of real-life
committments.

When I said "Apache Way" in my earlier posting, I
should have said "apparent Apache Way" in some cases.  The
problem is one of perception for newcomers, who, rightly or
wrongly, take postings from frequent posters to represent the
status quo.  All I think any of us can ask is that care is given
to the choice of words when expressing an opinion on how matters
should be done; sometime it may be better to use words that
soften an assertion, such as "ought be done" or "could be done".

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>