incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <ariel.constenla.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 02:41:59 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 06:16:01PM -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > but we are talking here about the GStreamer *plugin*. Just
> > like the gtk and kde VLC plugins, they have Oracle license,
> > and they are in the software grant, this means they (will)
> > have Apache License.
> >

> We can ship the AL2 source code and people can find
> out what to do with them but we cannot ship them in a
> binary release because they require linking to LGPL stuff.

is this true? can't the shipped binaries link against copy-left
system libraries?

> Of course, a linux/BSD distribution can but it cannot be
> mandatory.
>
> Alternatively we can AL2+LGPL code and binaries in
> apache-extras, and this would make sense if the plugins
> can be abstracted.
>
> > If AOOo will build a vanilla Linux version it should be
> > shipped with the gtk and kde plugins (no desktop
> > integration is a no-go!).
>
> I think pulling stuff out of the main distribution
> actually makes sense: OOo is very big and it has a
> lots of features that most people don't need.
> gstreamer is one of those cases: I personally don't
> use it so spending time and disk space building it
> is not very motivating but a flexible gstreamer
> plugin would be great for people that do use it.

it seems you miss my point here.
If you disable building and shipping GStreamer because it links
against copy-left system libs, then you should remove the VCL
plugins too (AFAIK gtk is LGPL, I'm not sure about Qt/KDE).

Removing the VCL plugins is shipping an AOOo that looks like:

~]$ export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gen";export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP="none"
~]$ /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

a no-go, IMHO.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile