incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Disposition of *.services.oo.o
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:37:01 GMT

On Oct 21, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 10/21/2011 08:35 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> (2) downloads.services.oo.o goes away this needs attention. This is the major unknown.
>>
>> We do have a version of this page in the website migration. It is rather clean. I
think the page handles a missing mirror brain, but I don't know if it handles it well. The
version that was cleaned up is in the AOOo project svn in ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/.

> Yes, the complete download method rely on a working "download.services.oo.o" domain as
here our Mirrorbrain instance is running to do the loadbalancing for download requests.

> As it wasn't accepted to bring this into the podling as another software service, we
have to find another solution.

> 1) As short term solution we could switch to a system that we were allowed to use as
backup for any outages we had at Sun/Oracle times.

> This system is running on "www.mirrorbrain.org" and is hosted and serviced by Peter Poeml.
As long as the "download.openoffice.org" host is still working there shouldn't be bigger problems
if we could use the backup system.

> I'll ask him if it's OK to rely this time a bit longer as long as we have not a long
term solution (see other mail).

> 2) It seems to be time to connect to the ASF system to do software downloads. However,
AFAIK we have the problem that the ASF is very likely not willing to host pre-ASF releases
of OOo within their mirror network.

> Nevertheless we need to prepare our download webpages for the ASF method when we will
have ready our first AOO release.

It may be that we can use the ASF method of picking mirrors to select from the current list
of OOo mirrors.

Regards,
Dave