incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:35:08 GMT
I like your proposal. I have some comments inline.

On Oct 16, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> I'm making a proposal now to shut down the legacy OOo mailing lists
> and direct the existing subscribers to one of the AOOo mailing lists.
> I realize that this is not the solution that many of us would prefer,
> but I believe that it is the best way forward that anyone is willing
> to volunteer to lead.  Please delight me by proving me wrong on this,
> by objecting this this proposal *and volunteering to do an alternative
> migration*.   But this approach is more graceful than the default, if
> we do nothing, of just having the lists just go down one day and not
> recover.
>
> Proposal:
>
> If not one objects and offers to lead a different transition plan, in
> one week I will do the following:
>
> 1) Make a list of all public legacy OOo mailing lists that have
> received at least 5 non-spam email in 2011.
>
> 2) Publish that list on the wiki, along with :
>
> a) the language predominately spoken on the list, if not English
>
> b) the recommended AOOo list that existing subscribers should be pointed to.

c) the list's OOo/Kenai project.

At the end of the week the ML list should be incorporated in the OOo properties that Dennis
and I are "noodling" over. (Language is another property.)

> 3) I will then draft, in English,  a post to be send to the above
> lists.  The post will talk about the overall effort of the migration
> to Apache, the specific migration of the mailing lists, and invite the
> subscribers to stay informed and to participate in the new Apache
> lists.  Information on how to subscribe will be provided.  A shutdown
> date, for the legacy lists will be included, two weeks from the
> posting date.

It would be good to co-ordinate this message with a general timeline for the OOo migration.
We should be clear about what is NOT being migrated and what is possible if the community
disagrees..