incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: handling of ext_sources - Juergen's suggestion [was: Re: A systematic approach to IP review?]
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:31:20 GMT
Hi Matthias;

--- On Thu, 10/27/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> go. I am
> those
> >
> > I am OK with that, but let me attempt to dump what I
> think:
> >
> > 1) you are not bringing in *anything* copyleft, that
> directory
> > will only be for the non-restrictive stuff that we
> need: ICU,
> > Boost, etc.
>
> That should be doable. OTOH I'm wondering whether we should
> keep the copyleft tarballs at Apache Extras - it would allow
> to still build with them (something that can be done outside
> the ASF infrastructure and is still appreciated (if I
> understood correctly).

I don't like that but we will have to do it as a temporary
solution to avoid breaking the build until we replace
everything.

I think on the long run this is only interesting for windows
binaries, due to the difficulties of getting those packages
from different places. On linux/BSD distributions it makes
sense to use the prepackaged mozilla, etc.

> > 3) We should probably move some of the stuff in
> soltools
> > there too (mkdepend).
>
> That's something for later, ATM we should move the ext_src
> stuff into a secure place.

Yes. Also for later, the simpleICC library is used to generate
a color profile required for pdf. I think we should just
generate the color profile somewhere outside the main build
and use it, avoiding the extra build cycles.

Another thing is we are excluding by default with extreme
prejudice both LGPL and MPL but it will be convenient to
reevaluate that since we will have to use the prepackaged
hunspell.

> If nobody else wants to do it, I can invest some time into
> that, but it might take some days.

I won't do it because of principles... I want them to
just go away ;-).

FWIW, Rob and I are trying to use an ooo- prefix on
Apache Extras. ooo-external-sources ?

> It seems that the consensus is that we check in the binary
> tarballs into trunk/ext_sources?!

I am not sure on that, I think lazy consensus by whomever does
it first will win :).

Pedro.