incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:51:23 GMT

--- On Wed, 10/26/11, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We could argue like this forever I am sure :-P.
> :-D
>

> > Hmm... about 10 years ago I wrote an article
> > about the evilness of the GPL. I guess I
> > should rescue it and upload it again just
> > for didactical purposes.
> >
> > For me the meritocratic foundation and the
> > free software license are both in the Apache
> > Foundation and I certainly wouldnt settle for
> > less.
>
> I guess we will have to settle for the clichet: : "to agree
> to disagree" :-)

Yes, and that doesnt mean we cant collaborate on
many issues.

There are still some technical objectives we both
share and we could work together on them. I can
draw a list if it makes sense.

There is also a list of things where we will diverge
drastically, and to be honest, I think that is good.
It serves no purpose to have two identical projects.

I am particularly OK with LO being Apache code +
GNU atuff, as it would be OK to see Apache code +
propietary stuff in other forks.

I want to see variety, and LO would be important
if it helps raising the bar for new commercial
players. I am quite sincere in saying that I
wish LibreOffice the best and it wouldnt worry
me at all if you take the market lead.

Pedro.