incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:43:43 GMT

--- On Tue, 10/25/11, Christian Lohmaier <cloph@openoffice.org> wrote:

> Hi Pedro, *,
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > I am not in the PPMC specifically to avoid
> participating in this type of
> > discussions, but I have to say this, just IMHO:
> >
> > I fail to understand why the ASF is not considered
> neutral,
>
> The ASF people is not the big problem. It is having
> @openoffice.org or @apache.org as part of the address.
>
> You wouldn't be OK with the list being @libreoffice.org or
> @documentfoundation.org, would you?

There is one difference: for all purposes we are what
LibreOffice is about to call upstream. Whatever happens
in OpenOffice.org is likely to also affect LO.

> Those are not neutral either. As I don't think this point
> is so hard
> to understand, I can only assume Rob is reiterating on this
> stuff and
> throwing in "trust is what matters" on purpose.
>
> This has nothing to do with trust.
>
> > We owe to our millions of users out there to maintain
> our own security
> > channels and we cannot delegate them to a third
> party.
>
> So why do you think it is OK for TDF/LibreOffice to do so?

LibreOffice, RedOffice, Lotus and other vendors are likely
to have their own independent channels too. I am not
against that but the idea is to have a single place where
all OOo derivatives can share experiences and attack
common problems. All of them share a quite big chunk
of code and we are extending the courtesy of the united
domain to everyone.

> (I know you're now switching from the neutrality issue to
> the
> administration part, but that once again is a different
> issue. Here is
> where trust also comes into play, but not any more than you
> have to
> trust the people who are subscribed to those lists)
>
> > Looking for
> > an unrelated domain to handle our issues is like
> giving your children
> > to your neighbors so they educate them "impartially".
>
> For TDF,  @apache.org or @openoffice.org would be
> "unrelated", a different party.

Thats exactly the silly part. We are calling for unity
and collaboration, TDF is calling for mistrust and
division.

Pedro.