incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@suse.com>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:12:28 GMT

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 13:40 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> Since Sun had control of the Bugzilla instance, then anything you (a
> non-Sun member of the public) can see was "accepted" and "made
> available under the OpenOffice.org open source project".

	I don't believe that to be the case. I'm also fairly certain that
as/when/if the JCA rational and intention is investigated in court, it
will be discovered that the two distinct phases: 'deliver' & 'accept for
incorporation' were teased apart for some real reason: presumably to
avoid having to distribute any arbitrary 'delivered' submission under
the project license - such having to incorporate all of the Solaris code
into the OpenOffice.org open source project when some clown attaches it
to a bug.

	In my experience lawyers don't tend to add pointless distinctions into
their documents, and on that basis alone your idea that deliver
+accept-by-Sun are subsumed into a single end-user's click of a button
seems unreasonable; but IANAL.

	My interpretation of 'accept' (for code) is review (by sun / oracle)
and merging that code into the repository main-line. That is what I
believe was intended.

	It is of course notable that the 'SCA' that superseded the JCA does not
contain this distinction but was not signed by many participants.

	Of course, in an atmosphere characterised by mutual respect and
collaboration this would be no big deal.

	All the best,

		Michael.