incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 18:03:15 GMT

--- On Sat, 10/22/11, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM,
> Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> >
> >I merged some fixes from bugzilla
> >that may be shared, and they have taken a lot of code
> that
> >they tagged as "contributed" by Oracle.
>
> Are you sure about that? please read the CLA which many of
> the said bugzilla patches are covered with :

I am pretty sure we are safe.

- I was careful not to introduce any new file. When Oracle
changes the headers themselves we get all the code.
- it is my understanding that Oracle will also be making
legal provisions about the bugzilla database. They provided
the dump, its not like we stole anything.

> > The problem is not really integrating the codebases
> but the
> > fact that the ownership of LO is so disperse and that
> TDF
> > is incapable of taking any relicensing decision.
>
> This is not a problem, this is a feature.

It is a limitation. Only the copyright owner can make
effective license claims so if the time comes to
enforce the LGPL you will find the surprise of owning
less than 10% the code doesn't help much.

Copy-left +
> decentralized
> ownership is a very effective way to protect 'Free'
> software... free
> as in freedom aka 'Libre'. Linux is a prime example of
> that.

Well I use FreeBSD and I am very glad to have helped Apple
overthrow Microsoft. I would also like to see abundant
commercial forks of Apache OpenOffice, producing new jobs,
and offering new features. Its freedom without strings.

> But if you want to pin-point a problem. that _IS_ the
> attempt of some
> corporate interest to force a unilateral re-licensing of
> the project,
> and then claim that 'convergence' is desirable.
> If convergence was desirable, then one obvious solution
> would have to
> continue contributing according to the license of the
> project.

The code is owned by Oracle, they paid for it, not by
Novell or Redhat. Quite honestly I think some groups
out there underestimate the resources SUN/Oracle put
into OpenOffice.

Pedro.