incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 02:26:16 GMT

--- On Fri, 10/21/11, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM,
> Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
> <andrew@pitonyak.org>
> wrote:
> > On 10/20/2011 05:02 AM, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
> >>
> >> * A call to LibreOffice contributors also to
> contribute their changes to
> >> Apache as the ASF is the long desired independent
> foundation for
> >> OpenOffice.org. On this basis a collaboration
> among the OpenOffice.org
> >> Apache Project and TDF can be achieved and
> duplication of efforts get
> >> avoided. As a result the question which
> project/product to choose is not
> >> that important any more.
> >
> > Are you aware of the number of changes that have
> already been applied to the
> > LibreOffice code base? It is very large. So, although
> it seems like a
> > realistic desire on the surface, it may be difficult
> in practice. How long
> > ago was the fork? Many people have spent significant
> time making changes,
> > and many of those changes depend on earlier changes.
> >

> It really is not that hard.  At IBM we have our own
> fork of OOo called
> Lotus Symphony.  We've made millions of lines of our
> own changes, but
> we still have merged in many patches from OOo.  It
> requires some care,
> but it is not rocket science.
>
> -Rob

And modern VCS helps a lot. I merged some fixes from bugzilla
that may be shared, and they have taken a lot of code that
they tagged as "contributed" by Oracle. As we continue
merging CWSs some more similarities may appear.

The problem is not really integrating the codebases but the
fact that the ownership of LO is so disperse and that TDF
is incapable of taking any relicensing decision.

Just IMHO, of course.

Pedro.