incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CODE] gtk system tray icon and libegg
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:07:54 GMT
Hi Michael;

--- On Fri, 10/7/11, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 07:56 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > My guess is that mmeeks signed a JCA for his code and
> > was even willing to get a JCA for libegg too.
>
>     libegg is not my code, and is not covered by any (C)
> assignment I've ever signed, it was built as an external
> library we bundled deliberately as a separate shared
> library to avoid problems, before this functionality was
> included into gtk+.

This was also my understanding, sorry if I got anyone
confused. I would think that using directly the GTK+
functionality is something that LibreOffice will want
to do too (if it's not done already).

> The shutdownicon-unx.cxx code is in all probability owned by
> Sun/Oracle, but it was indeed my work: though no credits
> appear anywhere sadly. That it does not (yet) contain a
> shouting header saying:
>
>  * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE
> HEADER.
>  *
>  * Copyright 2000, 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
>
>     is just an omission.

Thanks for clarifying this.

> >  His code should be covered by the grant but I
> have no idea what
> > the lawyers will do since there is no copyright header
> (probably
> > just be conservative and say no). There is an initial
> grant already
> > but I forgot where it is.
>
>     Hopefully they'll read the list of committers, and JCA
> signatories before rejecting things without explicit headers:
> there are plenty of files in that situation, and no doubt
> other people forgot to add them around the place.

I hope they do look carefully, but lawyers .. well let's not
talk about them until they give us reasons to do so ;-).

I am afraid we will have to ask later on some developers
to confirm if we can take their code and relicense it under
AL2, but for now I don't think we should (or can, in any case)
start a license witch hunt.

best regards,

Pedro.