incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 01:16:01 GMT

--- On Tue, 10/4/11, Ariel Constenla-Haile

> but we are talking here about the GStreamer *plugin*. Just
> like the gtk and kde VLC plugins, they have Oracle license,
> and they are in the software grant, this means they (will)
> have Apache License.

We can ship the AL2 source code and people can find
out what to do with them but we cannot ship them in a
binary release because they require linking to LGPL stuff.
Of course, a linux/BSD distribution can but it cannot be
mandatory.

Alternatively we can AL2+LGPL code and binaries in
apache-extras, and this would make sense if the plugins
can be abstracted.

> If AOOo will build a vanilla Linux version it should be
> shipped with the gtk and kde plugins (no desktop
> integration is a no-go!).

I think pulling stuff out of the main distribution
actually makes sense: OOo is very big and it has a
lots of features that most people don't need.
gstreamer is one of those cases: I personally don't
use it so spending time and disk space building it
is not very motivating but a flexible gstreamer
plugin would be great for people that do use it.

Pedro.