incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 22:36:45 GMT
--- On Tue, 10/4/11, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for jumping into the discussion ;)
> I can see a big problem coming: with every single Linux
> distro using LibO for the foreseeable future and
> considering the fact that nobody will build
> OOo at home (specially on windows), if, say, next year
> somebody install OOo 3.4 that will be for sure an Apache
> build. But if that Apache build is compiled with no
> switches, that will mean that every person downloading
> and installing OOo 3.4 will find an office suite not only
> without multimedia support, but also without spell checker!

I can only speak for the FreeBSD port but that won't happen.
What will happen is that both LO and AOO will share a lot of
binary components including the spell checker. Most of the
stuff that we need to kick out has been already kicked out
in LibreOffice, we just have to teach configure to find them.

> IMHO, that will be a very, very bad move that will create
> tons of negative reactions.
> I'm just a plain user so I do have any idea how to solve
> this problem, but I believe a discussion about this issue
> should be a priority.

For people building distributions I think it's in their
best interest to include all the features they can, so
I am sure they will take the time to do it. I can see
that some of them will also take the chance to add
malware but that will happen in LO too just as it
happens in VLC, etc.

cheers,

Pedro.