incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GStreamer avmedia plugin as copyleft?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 22:12:09 GMT

--- On Tue, 10/4/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> The GStreamer integration doesn't make sense without
> GStreamer - so we
> shouldn't build it when no GStreamer libs are available.

Agreed.

> We decided that configure without switches should be the
> default Apache build. OTOH we didn't agree on linking
> against lgpl libraries in the system in this default
> build, so I disabled GStreamer by default (as
> well as some other copyleft components - there is no
> difference in that regard between GStreamer and hunspell!).

There is a *huge* difference here: Hunspell is MPL so we can
use it. LGPL is category X: we can't use Gstreamer at at.

We can keep the MPL stuff around but anything GPL we should
consider extensions and move to apache-extras. The glue code
that we can relicense to AL2 we will, of course.

> This is an open question that
> IIRC I already asked here on that list (at least I wanted
> to do that ;-)).

There are bigger issues... but I'll keep them for later :-).

> Does that make sense?

One other thing ... we have to move-in the patch to use
COIN-OR to replace lp_solve. The COIN-OR stuff originated
(mostly) in IBM and is under CPL/EPL. We can treat it as
if it were MPL but help from the IBM guys to relicense it
to AL2 is welcome! (a SGA would be just fine, of course ;) )

In any case, and here I show my ignorance in OOo inner
workings, I hope we can make the coin-lp solver compatible
with the older lp_solve plugin here:

http://code.google.com/p/scsolver/

cheers,

Pedro.