incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:15:12 GMT

On Oct 31, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> 2011/10/31 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>
>
>> On 10/31/11 5:55 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 30, 2011, at 9:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> The stuff you are doing is too arcane for me and not where I notice

>>> Good. I wanted some guidance here. CWiki?
>>>
>>> Or, let's find the pages and make the changes.

>>> I've asked trademarks@a.o in general about the look. What's your
>>> question? I just sort of came up with it and now I'm asking too.

>>> You mean "We're sorry"? I'm not sure either. There are lots of little
>>> flaws like that. URLs are somewhat random, some are fully qualified and
>>> others are properly relative. This includes css and js that are not always
>>> found. These are the kinds of errors that will take some tedious time to
>>> handle.
>>>
>>> 4. This page, for Downloads, linked from the ES home page, has a PayPal
>>>>

>>> Yes, I've flagged that as well - Alexandro should be able to explain
>>> oooES. I think it is in a similar category to Team OpenOffice. I've found a
>>> paypal button in the Greek site to an individual for translation work. Not
>>> sure about others yet. I'll know when we're complete. These were all
>>> sanctioned at some point and I think the PPMC will need to decide policy in
>>> conversation with trademarks@a.o.
>>>

>> i think it's very confusing to have this individual donation places and i
>> would remove them all. Furthermore i would suggest that we really rethink
>> our portal "www.openoffice.org" in the near future. I don't see the
>> necessity of having too much different content on the localized pages. A
>> 1:1 translation of the English pages should be ok for all. Maybe each
>> regional page can have their own news feed to announce local events but
>> that's it. We should keep it simple.
>>

> Yes, this is a good idea...IMO.
>

>> All the community work and information specific to regional communities
>> should move into the wiki and forum from my point of view. Main development
>> work and communication around this is done in English anyway.
>>

> This was discussed (somewhat) early on. I, like you, felt the N-L
> communities might be better served by moving them to the wiki. But, then
> the question was -- who should do this? Should anyone (else) take ownership
> of these areas?

Exactly the correct question. We need to have people from these communities appear and take
"ownership" of their site. Once they do then we can suggest that the wiki is better and simple
translations of the main OOo site content is best.

My current approach is do the sites where interest is expressed or expected because we know
people from that part of the community are present on ooo-dev.

I'm doing the minimum to get each started. One reason I don't want BZ yet, particularly for
these NL sites.

Regards,
Dave