incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:32:16 GMT
Hi -

I am top posting a reply because I want to put the donations issue in the context of the existing
www.openoffice.org. I think that we have had sporadic and reactive planning. Probably because
not enough of the community was focused on these issues. Now we have focus. So, I think we
need to have a coherent agreement on how to best proceed with changes that should be made
to openoffice.org. Let's leave aside the issue of whether or not these are made to the existing
Kenai version.

The main www.openoffice.org page has a 5 major buttons.

(1) I want to learn more about OpenOffice.org.

What it is - Link to why.openoffice.org which is a marketing presentation with a different
look and feel. This is currently a marketing piece.

Question - should this lead to a discussion of the whole openoffice eco-system along with
an updated version of "why"?

(2) I want to download OpenOffice.org.

What it is - This expands to a smart download mechanism.

Action - when the podling has a release then it needs to be factored in. Otherwise this stays
as links to legacy.

(3) I want to help with OpenOffice.org

What it is - Link to support.openoffice.org which is an outline of resources.

Action - someone should update this to include appropriate updates for the current full OOo
community beyond AOOo

(4) I want to do more with my OpenOfficeorg

What it is - Link to extensions.services.openoffice.org which is hosted at OSUOSL.

Question - should we have an openoffice.org page in front of this?

(5) I want to participate in OpenOffice.org.

What it is - Link to contributing.openoffice.org.

This page and the sub-pages require the attention of the PPMC -

Current topics (including donations are:)
Programming
Marketing
Quality Assurance
Graphics and Art
Writing
Helping Users
User Experience
Monetary Donations
Language Communities

My point is that all of this needs to put into policies both acceptable to the ASF and to
the greatest benefit of the whole OOo community.

I don't even think the outline is correct. Sorry to expand this issue, but I think the full
context is appropriate.

Best Regards,
Dave

On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:10 AM, Martin Hollmichel wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> I think the question we should be asking, in addition, is: what makes
>>> us think that the model that OOo used historically might not work even
>>> better?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I think what matters is not just "oh it works fine" but how do we maximise
>> benefits.
>>

> Indeed, invest into mechanism to boost up the ecosystem to help partners do their business
better and thus come to faster solutions for end users and customers is a central issue, we
should and want to work on,