incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Gavin McDonald" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 01:38:12 GMT

ASF
> well.

> > it.

> >> MirrorBrain
> >> above
> > concerns.

> >> E.g. http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#apache22
> >>
> >> It auto selects the nearest mirror and provides appropriate download
> >> links
> > - a
> >> single click. Want it pretty with big blue buttons? It's just HTML
> >>
> >> This was discussed early in the AOOo podlings existence.see archives
> >> for.more.
> >
> > I would like us to move on from this Topic, I have said before and I
> > will say it again, ASF Infra will NOT support mirrorbrain.
> >
> > We have one mirror system and it deals with 200 or so projects.
> > OpenOffice project will use the current ASF supported mirror system. End
> of story.
>
> If you see this like black and white then I can do this, too:
>
> If we don't get the support that AOO needs then we can outsource the
> download easily. EOD
>
> (yes, this wasn't meant seriously)
>
> It's sad that you brush it simply aside without to see the chance to at
least try
> to improve things.

Excuse me? I am doing quite a lot already thank you.
You do not our infrastructure or how it works, I do.

> Why OOo is special:
>
> - over 70 committers (more than 10x of other projects, right ?)

Wrong

Subversion 66
hadoop 64
commons 103
lucene 61
cocoon 81
Geronimo 64

Shall I go on, 10x other projects where on earth did you pull that gem from?

> - several millons of code lines

LOC does not make a project special.
Perhaps as things improve with efficiency those will come down.

> - over 70 supported languages

Other project support other languages too.

> - 4 supported CPU architectures

Some projects support more than that, your point is?

> - 4 supported operating systems

Some projects support more than that, your point is?

> - OOo 3.3 consists of ~1.000 files with ~70 GB

Correct.

> - in the peak with 300,000 downloads per day

That’s fine. The mirrors will handle that.

> With these short facts IMHO everybody should be able to see that this is
not
> just another project and that it needs special treatment when needed.

sorry, you already are getting special treatment in other ways, but if every
Tom Dick
and Sally from this project got exactly what they asked for, they would also
be
paying for more servers, more bandwidth and more people to look after it
all.

Does everything in this projects life involve having a tantrum when someone
has to
say no to something?

> Even when we won't get back the download numbers in the middle run due
> to the long silence of the last months and reduce the number by lets say
50%
> we would be still by far the largest ASF project.

Doesn’t give you the right to try and bully me or the rest of the infra team
into
giving you want you want. In fact, it will have the opposite effect.

> But you are right ...
>
> > That said, let us get these other migrations done and we can see
> > how/if the previous releases can be integrated.
>
> ... currently we have indeed other more important road works on the plan.

And we are working on them.

The downloads will be sorted don’t worry, but if I can help it, it will be
using the same
system as all the other projects. If I am wrong about that, I will fess up
if it happens.

Gav...