incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Status of migration of OOo domains?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:18:57 GMT
Dave, can you say more about what the OO.o staging server would hold? I might be thinking of
something related, but not sure.

Is the idea to have a server ready with the static comment so the domain could be switched
to it, and the non-static services switched in by then also.

I was thinking dynamic properties might be swapped in on the live OO.o site and then they
would still be spliced in when the static change-over happens.  What is your thinking?

I suppose part of what I mean by staging is both the places for stages and also the choreography
that has the migration be as unnoticeable as possible.

[Still thinking how to describe this so that those interested can help reality-test it and
also do some contingency planning and triage as needed.]

 - Dennis

(In my frightful moments, I think of this as disaster-recovery on a still-living complex site.
 Sort of like open-heart surgery, kidney transplant, and chemo all at once, in the dark.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher []
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 15:52
Subject: Re: Status of migration of OOo domains?

On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Shane, just to clarify a bit.  As far as I know, the PPMC does not have the
> keys, as it were, to the live site.  Apparently someone does,
> and some touch ups are made, but it is all sort of behind the scenes and, um,
> not very transparent, especially since there is no archive or repository that
> the PPMC has visibility into.

Marcus is the only one I know of who has made changes to the existing OOo websites. I don't
know if he has access to the site template.

If Apache Infra makes progress on the JIRA issues I mentioned then I think that we can gain
traction on moving the static website very soon. I'll flesh out a proposal
on the CWiki in the next few days based on the various content we have accumulated.

> However, there does need to be some lofting around what is a roadmap here, and
> how does the existing live site be staged (and users informed) for transition
> of the properties under
> I'm thinking on it.  I am trusting that others with their hands on the knobs
> and dials will also speak up on what they can do by way of preparation for
> staging, and then staging.

One of the JIRA issues was for a staging server for If that is present
MANY hands are enabled as the Apache CMS will work directly on the site.

> - Dennis

View raw message