incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:55:25 GMT
I did not assert anything about how the auto-subscription offer is done.  I did note that the
lists may already be in the custody of a US-hosted system, so transnational border crossing
is not involved in any movement of subscribers.  Since this is an opt-in, not an opt-out procedure,
it might be considered that the benefit far outweighs the harm.  Of course, this is all speculative
because there is likely not time to do any of these things.

My thinking is that the current moderators be the ones best able to determine which subscribers
are "real."  Also, the current moderators, if they can be found, are appropriate folks for
notifying the lists they moderate of the imminent retirement, the opportunity to subscribe
to ooo-listX@ i.a.o, and of the plan to offer them an opt-in message for subscription to ooo-listX.
 Also for translating ezmlm messages into the native language that is the working language
of a particular list.

There are problems when moderators have absented themselves.  Regina just posted a message
on ooo-dev looking for a moderator of users@ de.openoffice.org to solve a problem with an
user who can't find a way to unsubscribe and whose efforts at following the various instructions
have failed.  So there is a problem with moderator abandonment.  It is clear that there are
any number of folks still on that list who could moderate it, if there was a way to grant
moderation.

Maybe that is something Andrew Rist can help with.

With regard to pulling the plug, I am not sure how it is possible to even warn folks of this,
unless material can be put in known web locations that informs list users of the possible
sudden retirement of the lists they subscribe to.  Again, our not having the keys to openoffice.org
properties is a barrier.  It might fall on us bloggers to have a joint message that is propagated
as far as our reach allows, including the podling blog.

 - Dennis