incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:56:03 GMT
It is a little difficult to figure out where to reply on this thread, but I am
mostly aligned with Shane and the response from Simon.

THE PRESENT STATE OF AFFAIRS

First, since the earlier conversation and the exchange that Michael Meeks
mentions in his restart of this thread today, Martin Hollmichel added Rob Weir
as an additional moderator on securityteam@ OO.o.  I privately requested being
added to that list as a subscriber so that there is more coverage from
ooo-security@ i.a.o, although I don't know if that has been accomplished.

Also, ooo-security@ i.a.o is subscribed to securityteam@ OO.o.  So, there is a
way to receive everything that goes to securityteam@ and there are enough of
us who should be able to ensure that anything of mutual importance that
ooo-security@ learns of can be reported to securityteam@.

There is now a degree of shared oversight on the securityteam@ list that
should work going forward as tuning is done.

I believe this is preferable to making a new place and having to construct a
new securityteam, for many reasons including the security of securityteam@
itself.

THE FAILING/DESIRED STATE?

The preceding steps were taken around October 10-13 on the urging of Apache
mentor(s) that action had been delayed too long and the cross-connection on
common territory needed to be cleaned up ASAP.  I think that's been
accomplished well enough for now.

This does raise some issues.

First, perpetuation of securityteam@ OO.o depends on preservation of that
e-mail list and its operation when the OpenOffice.org domain comes under
Apache custody.  If, instead, securityteam@ OO.o has to be abandoned, an
alternative community-common location will have to be created.

If securityteam@ OO.o is preserved, I believe the oversight of security@
apache.org and the care of Apache infrastructure is a bonus.  The ASF
attention to security and commitment to the security and safety of the sites
in its care is valuable.  It is well-established.  The strength of the
security@ team is a related bonus.  There is a highly-experienced and
qualified team in a position to ensure that securityteam@ is secured and also
operated in a reliable and even-handed way.

I had preferred, myself, that any ASF contribution of moderation and
administration, along with that provided by others, come from security@ a.o
rather than anyone on ooo-security @ i.a.o.  I think security@ is more
credible as a neutral party.  ASF has no issue with how many different office
suites there are, how many open-source office suite projects there are, and
what the variety of releases and distributions might be.  So I think it is a
superior earnest from ASF to have security@ take a hand to ensure that
security comes first and that competitive instincts will have no influence.
On the other hand, security@ already has oversight on everything that happens
on ooo-security, including anything ooo-security receives automatically from
securityteam@ OO.o.  I think that is good enough, but it might not be
perceived to be by those who need to be able to trust in securityteam@ OO.o.

If securityteam@ OO.o cannot be preserved, then an alternative arrangement
will have to be made no matter what.  Then I think it is important that
Michael Meek's latest proposal be brought to the front.  Even if Apache
hosting and infrastructure is chosen as a proven way to have assurance of
available and secure sites and lists, it might be better to not use an
apache.org domain name for it.

 - Dennis