incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Migration: any plans to preserve mailing list archives?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 01:05:55 GMT
Shane,

If you register on the openoffice.org site (recommended), and are logged in, you will find
something amazing at
<http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists>.

Those are not all of the lists.  There are, in addition, 15 pages of Projects (146 total),

<http://openoffice.org/projects>.  (Be logged in to view this too.)

The Native Language (NL) projects appear to be here too.

I believe that the static content has been captured.  Kay Schenk can report whether she has
captured them all.

Nothing about the interactive aspects such as mailing lists and the community efforts is being
sustained or salvaged as far as I know.

There seem to be three aspects here:

 1. These deserve pruning.  Our alternative, so far, has been to add two mailing lists to
ooo-* @i.a.o.

 2. No one able to handle preparation, staging, and figuring out what to install and administer
to continue on Apache infrastructure has stepped forward at AOOo.  It is not clear who has
the keys to those operations.  When Terry Ellison was working to provide a migration of the
MediaWiki setup and the Forums services onto Apache Infrastructure, he reported that he had
no capacity to add this under his wing.  No one else with knowledge of this kind of service
has been identified.

 3. It would be great if there were some energetic body, similar to the Forums squad, that
could step in and find a way to embrace and sustain what is still important as part of the
OpenOffice.org ecosystem.

I don't have anything constructive to offer beyond pointing at the burning building.

 - Dennis