incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:36:30 GMT
+1

Two critical points Dave reminds us of,

 - preservation of name@openoffice.org

 - the tie-in with subscriptions to all manner of things (as was the case with
the Bugzilla), but also wiki, forums, and mailing list subscriptions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201110.mbox/%3c37A6B1C6-3C4D-41B4-8679-A12DBBB186BE@comcast.net%3e>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 08:58
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

On Oct 17, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201110.mbox/%3cCAP-ksogDUcVt8+LOiKOqvDJ94Dp=VLo65gj9CRRFpLSOp4-hDA@mail.gmail.com%3e>

[ ... ]

> Great.  If we have a good statement on overall migration, we can
> include that.  Or if it is still "work in progress" I can link to a
> wiki page where the latest info can be found.  But there is no
> technical requirement for us to figure everything out before we move
> forward on independent pieces that we do understand.  We've done that
> already in other areas, like source code, issue tracking, and soon the
> forums.   And in general, it is to our benefit to move ahead with the
> pieces we do understand, especially communications vehicles, so we're
> not caught in a bad situation if the legacy servers unexpectedly
> became unavailable.  It is prudent to ensure that we have the main
> means of communication solidly on Apache servers sooner rather than
> later.

It will certainly be a work in progress, the more the ML changes are put in
the context of the total migration the better.

[ ... ]

> I'd be opposed to any automatic forwarding of list traffic or
> indiscriminate transferring of subscriptions from the legacy lists.
> Several of the legacy lists are are over-run by spammers.   An earlier
> poster said they get 80-120 moderation requests per day.  We have a
> good opportunity to "clean house" and to leave the spammers behind.

Let's not forget that there are a number of people who make use of their
@openoffice.org email address. We owe it to these people to give them some
time to react if these are being dropped. There are also implications with
BZ - at least in bug ownership and accounts. We've "bikeshedded" on these
addresses, we now need a plan. If someone cares enough about openoffice.org
personal email addresses we'll need volunteers to work out the details.

Regards,
Dave