incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:36:30 GMT

Two critical points Dave reminds us of,

 - preservation of

 - the tie-in with subscriptions to all manner of things (as was the case with
the Bugzilla), but also wiki, forums, and mailing list subscriptions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher []
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 08:58
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists

On Oct 17, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

[ ... ]

> Great.  If we have a good statement on overall migration, we can
> include that.  Or if it is still "work in progress" I can link to a
> wiki page where the latest info can be found.  But there is no
> technical requirement for us to figure everything out before we move
> forward on independent pieces that we do understand.  We've done that
> already in other areas, like source code, issue tracking, and soon the
> forums.   And in general, it is to our benefit to move ahead with the
> pieces we do understand, especially communications vehicles, so we're
> not caught in a bad situation if the legacy servers unexpectedly
> became unavailable.  It is prudent to ensure that we have the main
> means of communication solidly on Apache servers sooner rather than
> later.

It will certainly be a work in progress, the more the ML changes are put in
the context of the total migration the better.

[ ... ]

> I'd be opposed to any automatic forwarding of list traffic or
> indiscriminate transferring of subscriptions from the legacy lists.
> Several of the legacy lists are are over-run by spammers.   An earlier
> poster said they get 80-120 moderation requests per day.  We have a
> good opportunity to "clean house" and to leave the spammers behind.

Let's not forget that there are a number of people who make use of their email address. We owe it to these people to give them some
time to react if these are being dropped. There are also implications with
BZ - at least in bug ownership and accounts. We've "bikeshedded" on these
addresses, we now need a plan. If someone cares enough about
personal email addresses we'll need volunteers to work out the details.

>>> -Rob

View raw message